I wrote an article on these two auction websites a while back because they offer such great deals. As I have just booked another enticing hotel deal through them (at over 50% off) I feel inclined to update this post, especially since I noticed that FamilyGetaway.com has improved their booking terms (they now guarantee your dates or your money will be refunded). I spend a lot of time looking at travel deals and I have yet to find any other site that consistently has such valuable offerings for people traveling with infants, babies and toddlers.
If you have never seen either one of these sites, they both offer hotel, resort or vacation rental packages (often including extras such as meals, spa treatments, activities and even taxes) ranging from 2 – 10 days that you can bid on for discounts as great as 65% off.
The difference between the two sites is as follows:
This website offers auctions on package deals for families of four or more people at all different price points. Deals often include 2 bedroom or adjoining suites to better accommodate families.
This website offers auctions of only high end hotel, resort, or vacation properties. Usually the auctions are for 2 people but can be for more *. The easiest way to navigate this with a family is to use the “number of people” filter and confirm with the property that they will accept children before bidding on a package.
*The deal I booked was on LuxuryLink for my family of 4 at a highly rated property in the Caribbean. All in I paid $305 a night for a 2 bedroom suite on the beach with daily breakfast for four, welcome gift of wine and fruit, and taxes included. If I had booked through the hotel it would have cost $614 a night.
Here are my tips for booking on either site.
1. Sign up for the newsletter. This will get you either $100 or 10% off your first package. Alternatively, do a Google search for “Family Getaway Coupon Code” or “Luxury Link Coupon Code”. In my case the latter saved me $150.
2. Filter for auctions that advertise 50% off or greater. Not surprisingly, the best deals are offered outside of high season.
3. Thoroughly check out reviews of the property on Tripadvisor.com and double check the property website just to make sure they do not have a better deal on their site.
4. Check that the dates the package is available will work for you, paying careful attention to blackout dates.
5.Call or email the hotel property, explaining that you are going to bid on a package and confirm that the room will be available for the dates you wish to travel. The hotel may even hold the room for you until they receive the request from Family Getaway or Luxury Link . In the case of wanting to bid on a Luxury Link auction package, confirm that the hotel will accept children. Sometimes even if the package is for two, the hotel will let you book it and pay a surcharge for your children to share the room (and can still be an amazing deal).
6. Check or reserve flights to make sure that you can get to the property for an acceptable cost.
7. Make sure no one else is bidding on the property. The packages usually repeat themselves every few days so there is no need to get into a bidding war. You want to pay only the minimum asking price. The site also offers a “Buy Now” option on packages for a slightly higher price. This is only worth it if you are desperate not to lose the package, or if you are in danger of not being able to get your flights otherwise ( 24 hour sale?).
8. Once you receive the confirmation that your bid has been accepted (takes 24-28 hours usually), confirm your flights if applicable.
Happy Bidding !