There are tons of auction vacation package websites out there, but very few that are as good for families as Familygetaway.com. What is nice about this site is that the packages are usually for at least 4 people (and sometimes as many as 12), as opposed to most auction sites that only allow you to book for double occupancy.
Some tips for this site include:
1. Look for auctions that advertise 50% off or greater.
2. Thoroughly check out reviews of the property on Tripadvisor.com and double check the property website just to make sure they do not have a better deal on their site.
3. Check that the dates the package is available will work for you, paying careful attention to blackout dates.
4. Check or reserve flights to make sure that you can get to the property for an acceptable cost.
5. Call or email the hotel property, explaining that you are going to bid on a package and confirm that the room will be available for the dates you wish to travel. The hotel may even hold the room for you until they receive the request from Family Getaway *.
6. Make sure no one else is bidding on the property. The packages usually repeat themselves every few days so there is no need to get into a bidding war. You want to pay only the minimum asking price. The site also offers a “Buy Now” option on packages for a slightly higher price. This is only worth it if you are desperate not to lose the package, or if you are endanger of not being able to get your flights otherwise.
7. Once you receive the confirmation that your bid has been accepted, confirm your flights if applicable.
*If you sign up for the Family Getaway newsletter you will get $100 off your first vacation package.
Happy Bidding !