Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may also contain additional affiliate links.
Portable Crib and Toddler Travel Bed Guide
One of the biggest challenges for on-the-go parents is getting their baby or toddler to sleep while away from home. A comfortable infant travel bed or portable toddler bed can be key.
Having tried many baby travel sleep solutions during my years of traveling with kids, I have learned that having a proper baby travel bed can be essential to a great vacation.
Of course, not all travel beds for babies and toddlers are created equal. In this post, I will share with you my top picks for the best travel bassinet, the best travel crib and the best inflatable toddler travel bed, in terms of features, safety, quality and value.
Important Disclaimer: I intend for the information on this website to serve as a general overview on matters of interest derived from my experience traveling with my own children. I am not an expert on the subject and safety of baby and toddler travel beds. I attempt to ensure that the content is current and accurate but I do not guarantee its currency and accuracy.
Kids Travel Bed and Travel Crib Key Features
- Lightweight — Let’s face it — you are going to be toting this thing around, so it is advantageous to choose a lightweight baby travel crib or toddler travel cot that doesn’t sacrifice other key features.
- Easy to Assemble — It could be late at night when you arrive at your hotel, vacation rental or Grandma’s house. Your baby or toddler will be tired and you don’t want to go to war with your baby travel bed. The best portable crib or toddler bed should set up as easily as promised by the manufacturer.
- Washable — Sh*t happens. It really does. I know this because my daughter once flung her full diaper around in a portable baby crib creating quite a nasty mess. While rarely necessary, when disaster strikes, a washable travel bed is a blessing.
- Breathable — For safety reasons, it is very important that a portable cot or infant travel bed have proper venting and breathable fabric.
- Travel Bag – While not essential, it certainly is nice when a portable baby sleeper, travel pack n play or inflatable toddler bed comes in a lightweight, easy-to-carry, travel bag. It’s so much nicer than trying to shove a travel baby crib into a green garbage bag.
- Safety – With a travel crib, I am a big fan of going with a brand name company that has a good reputation for safety. I think this is especially important when you are shopping online and are overwhelmed with choices. For every fantastic brand name travel crib, toddler travel bed or portable pack and play, you will find a bunch of knockoffs that look similar. I encourage you to spend the extra few dollars and buy from a company you know and trust.
Travel Crib Comparison Chart
Please see the best baby travel bed and toddler travel bed options described in detail below. For quick reference, however, see this handy chart. Click on headers to sort by column and scroll to the right for more information.
The List – Best Travel Crib and Toddler Bed
People simply love the Lotus travel crib by Guava Family (rarely do I see so many 5 star reviews ! ). My two favorite things about this crib are the 15 second set up, and the clever mesh side door access so that you can slide a sleeping baby into it (rather than breaking your back trying to put them down carefully).
Whether you are looking for the best portable crib for baby, or the best travel bed for a toddler, this one could do the job to up to 3 years of age.
Features of the Guava Travel Crib:
- Our #1 best selling portable crib.
- The Guava travel playpen and crib weighs only 13lbs / 6kg.
- Suitable as a newborn travel crib.
- Excellent travel crib toddler solution (suitable to 3 years old – or when your child can climb out).
- This portable travel baby bed has a 15 second set-up.
- Assembled dimensions: 42″L x 24″Wx 25″H. (106cm x 61cm x 63cm).
- Folded dimensions: 24″ x 7″ x 11″ (61cm x 18cm x 28cm).
- Breathable mesh allows for full airflow and an unobstructed view your child.
- Convenient travel cot carry bag that can be used as a backpack.
- Free of PVC, Lead, Phthalates, Formaldehyde, and Heavy Metals (Cadmium, Arsenic, Mercury, etc.).
- Meets all required safety standards including 16 CFR 1221 / ASTM F406-13 – US.
- Watch the Lotus Travel Crib assembly video here.
- Reviews and further details about the Guava travel crib here.
Features of the Baby Bjorn Travel Crib Light:
- This baby travel bed weighs only 13lbs / 6kg.
- One of the best infant travel beds – suitable from newborn.
- Suitable up to 3 years old or when they can climb out (good travel crib for toddler solution).
- Assembled dimensions: 32 x 44 x 24 in/82 x 112 x 64cm.
- Folded dimensions: 19 x 23.5 x 5.5 in/49 x 60 x 14 cm.
- Soft and comfy baby travel bed mattress.
- Crib fabric is machine washable (do not tumble dry).
- Includes a portable baby bed travel carry bag.
- The Baby Bjorn Travel Crib Light complies with the standard ASTM F406.
- Watch the Baby Bjorn travel pack and play (crib) assembly video here.
- Reviews and further details about the Baby Bjorn Travel Crib here.
Munchkin Fold n’ Go Portable Bassinet
The Brica Fold N’ Go travel bassinet (by Munchkin) is my current favorite for those looking for the best portable baby bassinet for travel. I recently saw a gentleman with this stealthily folded portable infant sleeper slung over his shoulder in an airport. He looked so chill, that I actually mistook his baby travel bassinet for a nice sports jacket bag.
Lightweight and compact, the Brica travel bassinet is a great option for flights with an infant. In the case of this family, they had a long layover and needed a portable baby sleeper solution for the airport. During their layover, they found a quiet spot in a corner and just tucked their baby in for a nap.
For people looking for the best travel bassinet for an infant up to 15 lbs. (or 6.8kg), this is a great solution. The Brica Fold n Go travel travel bassinet is very well priced as well.
Features of the Brica Fold n’ Go Infant Travel Bassinet:
- Our #1 selling travel baby bassinet.
- This portable baby travel sleeper weighs only 2.45lbs / 1.1 kg.
- Suitable for newborns up to 15lbs / 6.8 kg.
- Assemble dimensions: 30″ x 18.5″ x 10″ (76cm x 47cm x 25cm)
- Folded dimensions: 22.5″ x 17.5″ x 3.2″ (57cm x 44cm x 8cm)
- Updated design with mesh panels, breathable fabric, and a locking frame.
- Firm mattress on this baby travel bassinet is removable.
- Included sheet is machine washable for easy cleaning.
- Baby travel bed has a foldable design and carry handle.
- See why it is one of the best portable bassinet solutions in this product video.
- Reviews and further details about Brica portable travel bassinet here.
KidCo PeaPod Plus Toddler Travel Bed
I bought this toddler travel bed for my daughter when she was about 2 years old, while researching the best travel cribs for toddlers. Initially she wasn’t interested in sleeping in this toddler travel tent, but from about 3 years on, she would have slept in it every night if I let her.
It is a very light and compact toddler travel bed, making it easy to bring along on trips or for sleepovers at Grandma’s house. I also found it useful in situations where my children were not sleeping well together on a pull out sofa (a common family accommodation setup in hotels).
Although my daughter has now outgrown it, she still loves to set it up and play in it. With as much use as we got out of the product, I think it provided great value. For those looking for a travel bed for a 1 year old and up, this could be a good portable toddler crib solution.
Features of the Peapod Travel Toddler Bed :
- Weighs only 3.65lbs / 1.65kg.
- Designed for children 1-5 years (not suitable for infants).
- Assembled dimensions: 52.5″L x 34″W x 25″H (133cm x 87cm x 64cm).
- Folded dimensions: 19″L x 3.5″W x 19″H (48cm x 9cm x 48cm).
- Comes fully assembled with sleeping pad attached to outside bottom of PeaPod Plus.
- Great for indoor or outdoor use, including as a baby beach sleeper (1 year and up).
- Comes with handy carry bag.
- Watch the Peapod Plus product video here.
- Reviews and further details about PeaPod Travel Bed for Toddlers here.
The Shrunks Toddler Travel Bed
The Shunks portable toddler bed is a great solution for sleepovers. Set-up is a cinch with the included electric pump and comes in its own handy carry bag ! Even better, the Shrunks kids portable bed is not just for toddlers, since it also comes in a youth twin size travel mattress.
Features of the Shrunks Child Portable Bed:
- Weighs 8.5lbs / 3.8 kg.
- Suitable for toddlers and children 2-6 years (roughly 30-100lbs).
- Inflated dimensions: 60″ x 37″ x 9″ (152cm x 94cm x 23cm).
- Rolled up dimensions: 16″ x 7′ x 7″ (40cm x 18cm x 18cm).
- Inflates quickly in 30 seconds.
- Includes a convenient carrying bag, repair kit and the compact yet powerful Jetaire Electric Pump.
- Security rails helps prevent child from falling out. Designed low to the ground, for complete safety.
- Phthalate-safe, BPA-safe and lead-safe.
- See why this is one of the best toddler travel bed solutions in this product video.
- Read reviews and learn more about the Shrunks toddler travel bed here.
- Looking for something bigger? The Shrunks Travel Bed also come in a twin size.