Best Baby Travel Beds and Portable Cribs
One of the biggest challenges for parents, is getting their baby or toddler to sleep well away from home. A comfortable and portable infant travel bassinet or suitable toddler travel crib can be the key to your success. Having tried many baby travel sleep solutions during years of traveling with a baby, I learned that having a proper travel baby bed was one of the keys to a great vacation. Of course, not all travel beds for babies and toddlers are created equal. In this post, I will share with you my picks for the best travel bassinets, the best travel cribs and the best inflatable toddler travel beds, in terms of features, quality and value.
Portable Baby Crib and Toddler Travel Bed Buying Guide
Key Features for Baby Travel Cribs and Travel Beds for Toddlers:
- Lightweight — Let’s face it — you are going to be toting this travel crib around, so it is advantageous to choose a lightweight travel crib, that doesn’t sacrifice other key features.
- Easy to Assemble — It could be late at night when you arrive at your hotel, vacation rental or Grandma’s house. Your baby or toddler will be tired and you don’t want to go to war with your portable travel cot. The best travel baby bed should set up as easily as promised by the manufacturer.
- Washable — Sh*t happens. It really does. I know this because my daughter once flung her full diaper around in a toddler portable crib, creating quite a nasty mess. While rarely necessary, when disaster strikes, a washable travel bed is a blessing.
- Breathable — For safety reasons, it is very important that a portable baby crib for travel or an infant travel bed have proper venting and breathable fabric.
- Travel Bag – While not essential, it certainly is nice when a portable baby bed or toddler travel crib comes in a lightweight, easy-to-carry, travel bag. It’s so much nicer than trying to shove a travel baby crib into a green garbage bag.
Travel Crib Comparison Chart
Please see the best travel cribs described in detail below. For quick reference, however, see this handy chart. Click on headers to sort by column.
The Best Travel Baby Beds – The Best Travel Cribs
1. Baby Bjorn Travel Crib Light – A Top Seller ! – From $237
Features of the Baby Bjorn Travel Crib Light:
- Weighs only 13lbs / 6kg.
- One of the best infant travel beds – suitable from newborn up to 3 years (or when they can climb out of the travel crib).
- 4.5/ 5 stars by reviewers on Amazon.com.
- Assembled dimensions: 32 x 44 x 24 in/82 x 112 x 64cm.
- Folded dimensions: 19 x 23.5 x 5.5 in/49 x 60 x 14 cm.
- Soft and comfy mattress.
- Crib fabric is machine washable (do not tumble dry).
- Includes a portable baby bed travel carry bag.
- The Baby Bjorn Travel Crib Light complies with the standard ASTM F406.
- Watch the Baby Bjorn travel crib assembly video here.
- Reviews and further details about the Baby Bjorn Travel Crib here.
2. The Lotus Travel Crib and Portable Play Yard – From $198
People simply love the Guava travel crib (rarely do I see so many 5 star reviews ! ). My two favorite things about this crib are the 15 second set up, and the clever mesh side door access so that you can slide a sleeping baby into it, rather than breaking your back trying to put them down carefully. Whether you are looking for the best portable crib for baby, or the best travel bed for a toddler, this one could do the job up to 3 years of age.
Features of the Guava Family Lotus Portable Baby Bed:
- This portable playpen and crib weighs only 13lbs / 6kg.
- Suitable as a newborn travel crib all the way up to a toddler portable crib (to 3 years – or when your child can climb out).
- 5 / 5 stars by reviewers on Amazon.com.
- This portable travel baby bed takes only 15 second to set-up
- Assembled dimensions: 42″L x 24″Wx 25″H. (106cm x 61cm x 63cm).
- Folded dimensions: 24″ x 7″ x 11″ (61cm x 18cm x 28cm)
- Breathable mesh allows for full airflow and an unobstructed view your child, even when the side is zipped up.
- Convenient travel crib carry bag that can be used as a backpack.
- Free of PVC, Lead, Phthalates, Formaldehyde, Heavy Metals (Cadmium, Arsenic, Mercury, etc.) and many others.
- Meets all required safety standards including 16 CFR 1221 / ASTM F406-13 – US.
- Watch the Lotus Travel Crib assembly video here.
- Reviews and further details about the Lotus Crib here.
Buy the Lotus Travel Crib from $198 USD:
3. Brica Fold n’ Go Infant Travel Bassinet – From $34.99
The Fold N’ Go by Brica is my current favorite for those looking for the best infant or baby bassinet for travel. I recently saw a gentleman with this stealthily folded travel crib bassinet slung over his shoulder in an airport. He looked so cool, that I actually mistook the infant travel bassinet for a hip sports jacket bag. Lightweight and compact, it is a great option for flights with an infant. As this couple had a long layover, they needed a travel baby sleeping solution, and thus found the perfect baby bed for flying (or at least for airports). During their layover, they found a quiet spot in the airport and tucked their baby in for a nap. For people looking for the best travel bassinet for a 6 month old or under, this just might be the best lightweight portable bed for infants (and it’s a pretty cheap travel crib too).
Features of the Brica Fold n’ Go Travel Cot:
- This portably baby sleep bed weighs only 2.45lbs / 1.1 kg.
- Suitable for newborns up to 15lbs / 6.8 kg making it a great travel bed for a 6 month old or younger (assuming they do not exceed 15lbs).
- 4.5 / 5 stars by reviewers on Amazon.com.
- Assemble dimensions: 30″ x 18.5″ x 10″ (76cm x 47cm x 25cm)
- Folded dimensions: 22.5″ x 17.5″ x 3.2″ (57cm x 44cm x 8cm)
- Updated design with mesh panels, breathable fabric, and a locking frame providing comfort and peace of mind.
- Firm mattress on this baby travel bassinet is removable and sheet is machine washable for easy cleaning.
- Foldable design with carry handle.
- Watch the Brica foldable bassinet product video here.
- Reviews and further details about Brica portable travel bassinet here.
4. KidCo PeaPod Plus Travel Bed for Toddlers – From $94.95
I bought this for my daughter when she was about 2 years old, during a search for the best travel cribs for toddlers. Initially she wasn’t interested in sleeping in this toddler travel tent, but from about 3 years on, she would have slept in it every night if I let her. It is very light and compact, making it easy to bring along on trips or for sleepovers at Grandma’s house. I also found it useful in situations where my children were not sleeping well together on a pull out sofa (a common family accommodation setup in hotels). Although my daughter has now outgrown it, she still loves to set it up and play in it. With as much use as we got out of the product, I think it provided great value. For those looking for a travel bed for a 1 year old and up, this could be a good portable toddler crib solution.
Features of the Peapod Travel Toddler Bed :
- Weighs on 3.65lbs / 1.65kg.
- Designed for children 1-5 years (not suitable for infants).
- 4 / 5 stars from reviewers on Amazon.com.
- Assembled dimensions: 52.5″L x 34″W x 25″H (133cm x 87cm x 64cm).
- Folded dimensions: 19″L x 3.5″W x 19″H (48cm x 9cm x 48cm).
- Comes fully assembled with sleeping pad attached to outside bottom of PeaPod Plus.
- Great for indoor or outdoor use, including as a baby beach sleeper (1 year and up).
- Comes with handy carry bag.
- Watch the Peapod Plus product video here.
- Reviews and further details about PeaPod Travel Bed for Toddlers here.
5. The Shrunks Toddler Travel Bed – From $59.99
The Shunks Inflatable Toddler Bed is a great solutions for sleepovers. Set-up is a cinch with the included electric pump. It even comes in its own handy carry bag !
Features of the Shrunks Toddler Travel Bed:
- Weighs 8.5lbs / 3.8 kg.
- Suitable for toddlers and children 2-6 years (roughly 30-100lbs).
- 4.5 / 5 stars by reviewers on Amazon.com.
- Inflated dimensions: 60″ x 37″ x 9″ (152cm x 94cm x 23cm).
- Rolled up dimensions: 16″ x 7′ x 7″ (40cm x 18cm x 18cm).
- Inflates quickly in 30 seconds.
- Includes a convenient carrying bag, repair kit and the compact yet powerful Jetaire Electric Pump.
- Security rails helps prevent child from falling out. Designed low to the ground, for complete safety.
- Phthalate-safe, BPA-safe and lead-safe.
- Watch the Shrunks toddler travel bed product video here.
- Reviews and further details about Shrunks Travel Bed for Toddlers here.