Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post also contains additional affiliate links.
Family Suites in NYC Guide
Are you looking for family suites in NYC? You’ve come to the right place. Over many trips to NYC with kids, and some near obsessive research, I have compiled a list of my favorites hotels in NYC for families that offer the luxury and comfort of more space.
Please see the following list of suite hotels in NYC for families – where the whole gang can relax and spread out after a long day of sightseeing without tripping over each other. Every suite hotel listed here offers the option of a kitchenette, allowing guests to save money by self-catering. For people looking for large hotel suites in NYC – this list includes many New York City hotels for a family of 5 or 6 wishing to stay in the same suite (rather than adjoining rooms).
Please start with the following tips for finding the best New York hotels with suites for families or use the menu above to go straight to the top 10 list.
In the wrong place? Please see the following:
- Just need a hotel room? Check out the Best NYC Hotels for Families.
- Need some trip inspiration? See 20 Things to do in NYC with Kids.
- Seeking non-stop fun? See the top NYC tours from Viator and GetYourGuide.
Tips – For Finding Family Suites in NYC
- Location. Visiting NYC with kids can be quite exhausting, so it helps if you can find a hotel that is close to where you will be spending most of your time. When our kids were small, we spent most of our time around Central Park (playgrounds, the carousel, the zoo, the Children’s Museum, the Museum of Natural History etc.) so we would base ourselves on the Upper East Side or Upper West Side. Once they were a little older, we preferred Midtown, which is closer to Times Square, The Theatre District and Rockefeller Center.
- Finding Value. Get your head around the fact that New York City hotels with family suites are rather pricey in comparison to most other American cities. Average hotel prices in New York are only beat out by Chicago, Miami and L.A. That said, if you book carefully (and well ahead of time), you should be able to find something that is a decent value.
- Size Matters. Manhattan family suites are quite small in comparison to many other North American cities. I have found this to be especially true of some of the newer hotel properties in the city. Since most New York family hotels list the size of the room, I always take this into consideration. For a suite, I generally look for something that is at minimum 40 sq. meters (roughly 430 sq. feet) – and ideally much larger.
- Provision Up. Save money and make the most of your time in NYC by having groceries delivered right to your room. NYC grocery delivery services include AmazonFresh, FreshDirect and Instacart. If it is your first time using one of these services, you can usually benefit from a free trial or free first time delivery.
- Finding Value. Take into account how busy you are going to be. Will you be spending a lot of time in your New York family hotel room, or will you be out and about all day? Perhaps all you need is a clean and comfortable place to stay (not worthy of the big splurge). If you are just going to be falling into bed at night, you may wish to choose a more modest place to stay and spend the extra saving on activities and attractions.
- Read Reviews. Please take the time to thoroughly read reviews from families before booking your accommodation. On TripAdvisor for example, you can filter for reviews by families and then type kids into the search bar to narrow those reviews down even further.
- Book Early. Book early to secure the best rate on family suites in NYC. Sites such as Booking.com usually offer a no deposit / flexible cancellation policy. I tend to reserve my chosen New York family hotel as soon as my flights are booked and then check back periodically to see if I can find a better deal (canceling the original reservation and rebooking at the better rate).
10 Hotels with Family Suites New York
Langham Place Fifth Ave – Midtown 5★
This luxury hotel property is in a great Midtown location close to Times Square, Bryant Park and the Empire State Building. The Langham offers a number of family room and suite options (some with kitchens), including double/double rooms and one bedroom suites (with sofa bed). Check rates on Booking.com or read reviews on TripAdvisor.
San Carlos Hotel – Midtown East 4★
The San Carlos is an all-suites hotels located in convenient Midtown East, just a 10 minute walk to Rockefeller Center (the new FAO Schwarz, LEGO store, Top of the Rock, winter skating rink etc.). They offer deluxe suites and one bedrooms suites that can sleep up to 6 people. Rooms are equipped with a small kitchenette that includes a microwave, coffee/tea maker and mini refrigerator (although stays also include a continental breakfast). Check rates for family suites in NYC at the San Carlos Hotel on Booking.com or read reviews on TripAdvisor.
Hilton Homewood Suites – Midtown 3★
The spacious studio and one-bedroom suites (sleep up to 6) at the Homewood are just a short walk (10 min) from Times Square and the Theater District. Their modern units feature living and sleeping areas plus a fully equipped kitchen with a refrigerator, microwave, 2-burner cooktop and dishwasher. Check rates on Booking.com or read reviews on TripAdvisor.
Affinia Shelburne Suites – Midtown East 4★
The recently renovated Shelburne Hotel and Suites is close to the Empire State Building, Grand Central Station and Bryant Park. This property offers studio, one and 2 bedroom suites that can sleep up to 6 people. Guests can self-cater by pre-ordering a grocery box through Affinia from FreshDirect.
Affinia does a great job with kids offering custom coloring sheets, crayons, kid-friendly snacks at their Corner Store, pack n’ plays, strollers, high chairs and games for loan. Their nightly Social Sips wine hour also offers kid-friendly options. Check rates for family suites in NYC at the Affinia Shelburne on Booking.com or read reviews on TripAdvisor.
Staybridge Suites – Times Square 3★
This centrally located hotel (2 blocks from Times Square) has a 24-hour gym, on-site dining, and suites with fully equipped kitchenettes (stovetop, full fridge and dishwasher). The suites are equipped with free Wi-Fi, cable TV, and an iPod docking station.
A stay at Staybridge Suites includes a daily breakfast buffet and an evening reception with snacks (Mon.-Wed). Suites can sleep up to 4 guest but adjoining rooms are also available. Guests also have access to free laundry facilities (great for longer stays in NYC). Check rates on Booking.com or read reviews on TripAdvisor.
Residence Inn by Marriott – Midtown East 3★
The Marriott Residence Inn New York Suites Hotel is in an excellent location – just a 10 minute walk to Rockefeller Center (the new FAO Schwarz, LEGO store, Top of the Rock, winter skating rink etc.). The suites all have free Wi-Fi, cable TV (with HBO) and kitchenettes. A daily hot buffet breakfast is included with a stay. The Residence Inn has studio and one bedroom suites (can sleep up to 6). Check rates on Booking.com or read reviews on TripAdvisor.
The French Quarters – Midtown 3★
The French Quarters is a 22-room boutique hotel with a New Orleans style decor in Hell’s Kitchen, Manhattan. Their rooms and suites all have kitchenettes and a complimentary continental breakfast is served each morning. It is also in an excellent central location – close to Times Square and the Theater District. This property has studio, one and two bedroom suites (sleep up to 6). Check rates on Booking.com or read reviews on TripAdvisor.
AKA Times Square – Midtown 4★
That AKA Times Square is in my favorite Midtown location for a family trip to New York – smack dab in the middle of Times Square, the Theater District, Bryant Park and Rockefeller Center. Many family suites at this property have fully-equipped kitchens and in-suite washer dryer, along with amenities including a rooftop lounge, fitness centre, and complimentary WiFi. This property offers studio, one and two bedrooms suites (can sleep up to 5). Check rates on Booking.com or read reviews on TripAdvisor.
The Hotel Beacon – Upper West Side 4★
The Beacon Hotel’s Upper West Side location is fantastic for families, within a few blocks of Central Park, the Museum of Natural History and the Children’s Museum of Manhattan. Its large rooms and suites (all with kitchenettes) are great for those looking for a New York hotel room for 6 people. It has the convenience of a grocery store right across the street and is very close to a Metro station. Check rates for family suites in NYC at the Beacon on Booking.com or read reviews on TripAdvisor.
Affinia Garden Suites – Upper East Side 4★
Like all the New York Affinia properties (3 in NYC), the all-suites Affinia Gardens is perfect for families (suites can sleep up to 5). Self catering is easy with the well-equipped kitchens and optional grocery delivery service (from FreshDirect). The Upper East Side location is very quiet and yet close to many family attractions such as the Central Park Zoo, the Heckscher Playground and, for some sweet treats…Dylan’s Candy Bar.
Affinia does a great job with kids offering custom coloring sheets, crayons, kid-friendly snacks at their Corner Store, pack n’ plays, strollers, high chairs and games for loan. Their nightly Social Sips evening wing hour also offers kid-friendly options. Check rates for family suites in NYC at the Affinia Gardens on Booking.com or read reviews on TripAdvisor.
Note: I stayed at this hotel when my children were 1 and 4 years respectively. I liked the fact that it was in such a quiet area but still within an easy stroller roll of Central Park. Our one bedroom suite was spacious enough to have some friends over for a glass of wine in the living room while our kids went to sleep in the bedroom.
TripAdvisor’s Top 10 NYC Suite Hotels
Filtered for Family Friendly and availability of Kitchenette.
1. AKA Wall Street 4★
2. AKA Times Square 4★
3. Trump International Hotel and Towers 5★
4. Belvedere Hotel 4★
5. The Sherry-Netherland Hotel 4★
6. The Blakely New York 4★
7. Stewart Hotel 4 ★
8. San Carlos Hotel 4★
9. Garden Suites by Affinia 4★
10. Staybridge Suites Times Square 3★
Family Vacation Rentals in NYC
Finding a good (and well priced) family vacation rental in NYC can be a little more challenging than in some other major cities. Part of the reason for this, is that many buildings in Manhattan are restricted from doing short-term rentals of less that 30 days. That said, there are still some good properties to be found on vacation rental sites such as Homeaway and Airbnb (my Airbnb link will give you a small credit on your first booking).
Note: Personally, I find that vacation rentals make the most sense for our family when we are staying at least 5 nights. Otherwise, the added service fees and cleaning fees often make the stay cost as much, and sometimes more than what a hotel would be.